1960-02-02 USA Titan 1 Launch

A Titan I B-7A launch cover from "Sarzin", postmarked at Port Canaveral with a hand cancel on February 2, 1960, commemorating a successful developmental flight of the U.S. Air Force’s Titan I intercontinental ballistic missile.
Launched from Launch Complex 19 at Cape Canaveral, the Titan I B-7A flight formed part of the early testing and qualification of the Titan missile system. Although the Titan I was developed as a military ICBM rather than a space launch vehicle, the flight has an important connection to the later U.S. human space program: Titan I development at Launch Complex 19 was followed by its conversion for Project Gemini, while the Titan I evolved into the Titan II, which NASA selected as the launch vehicle for Gemini. The same launch pad subsequently became the launch site for all ten manned Gemini missions, as well as the two unmanned Gemini test flights.